Help me see with eyes of faith. Give me strength to run this race. i will go Lord, where Your glory is unknown, i will live for You alone. i will go because my life is not my own. i will go...

Monday, October 6, 2008

The Lord's Supper & Baby Dedication

The Lord's Supper

We enjoyed a special Sunday service this week as we celebrated the Lord's Supper together as a church. It was a unique time for our church members, to be reminded exactly what the Lord's Supper represents. They have been taught for so long by the Catholic church that they are eating and drinking the actual physical body of Christ. Most of our members, having been Christians for more than a year, understand that the Lord's Supper is something we do in remembrance of what Christ did for us, but others are still confused by many years of listening to false doctrine. It was a great service and I think Alejandro (interim preacher & my ministry partner at this church) did a great job of walking us through the Word and explaining things clearly. Sadly, we had several regular attenders who purposely did not attend church yesterday. Knowing that only baptized believers would be able to participate in the supper, I think they felt uncomfortable coming and not being able to partake with the rest of the church.

Getting ready for Evangelism

That's when visitation can be so helpful! We spent 2 hours after church walking the streets of this neighborhood, sharing the gospel and visiting members who were absent. This is such an important part of growth in the church. We need to be encouraging our brothers and sisters, taking the time to visit with them, letting them know they were missed and prayed for. I saw some great growth in our members after yesterday's experience. It was really an encouragement to me, and something I've been praying for, for a long time.

Cherry's dress was huge on her, but she looked so cute!

There are a few things I just can't seem to get used to. 1) They take "roll call" every week, asking you how many chapters in your bible you read (hm...I can't at all see how this might pressure people to exaggerate!), how many visitors you brought (which, annoyingly to me, they count their kids as visitors, even though they are there every week!) and then ask if you brought your bible. This is a DEEPLY rooted tradition for them, so I guess I'll have to learn to live with it, and pray the Lord will open their hearts to change. 2) When we go out to share the gospel they walk up to someone and say, "We are here to EVANGELIZE you" (oh sinner!...I added this part)...but I feel like we're walking in and knocking them upside the head...and then expecting them to give us a moment of their time, haha. I pray..."Father, help them to hear what YOU want them to hear, and not the words coming out of our mouths." Thankfully...we are called to be obedient to share God's word...and He's the one who takes care of the results!

Alejo w/ baby Caleb, Yolima & big brother Sebastian ("Gordito")

On a happy note, I arrived early enough to help Yolima get all 3 kids bathed and ready for church. Caleb Andres was introduced to the church, and they were asked to commit to pray for him as he grows. We prayed that he would grow up hearing the Word of God and that one day he would make the decision to follow Christ and serve Him. His name means "Loyal/Faithful Warrior" so we prayed that he would be a faithful warrior for the cause of Christ. I took their first family photos...and they turned out adorable, given the circumstances! I was rushing to take the pictures, so they're not the best lighting or framing. Cherry was screaming the whole time, so I bribed her with candy! haha...what can I say!

The "bribery photo" after I told her I had candy...can't you see it in her eyes! lol!
Every time I come over to visit Gordito says to me, "He's MY brother, he's mine!" and I just laugh and remind him that I know! I'm just here to visit!


Thank you all for your continued love and prayers! Have a wonderful week! ~Sarah :)

No comments: