Help me see with eyes of faith. Give me strength to run this race. i will go Lord, where Your glory is unknown, i will live for You alone. i will go because my life is not my own. i will go...

Saturday, October 4, 2008

"I want to bring you a gift..."

I receive a phone call this week from the mother of one of my Colombian friends. Her son married one of our missionaries this summer and they now live in Texas. The mother, who lives here in CO, called me to see if she could come by my apt. this week. I assumed she wanted to use my Vonage phone to call her son in the States, but she said no, that she wanted to bring me a "gift." Surprised I said, "Is this gift alive?" (The kitten I now have was originally a gift from her brother and I thought she might want to give me another kitten) She just laughed. I wasn't sure if she had misunderstood me or if she just didn't want to spoil the surprise...

Since when does "I want to bring you a gift" imply that "I want to bring a strange man over to your house to introduce you"....???????

Yes....my gift was A PERSON!!!

Supposedly I had met this man at my friend's wedding. He began to explain to me that he had been having dreams and that I was in them. I was surrounded by lots of kids, but they were really angels, and that we were going up to the top of a rainbow. At the top of the rainbow was a door. I told him that I could go through the door, but that he could not, because not every soul can go through the door. He went on to explain to me that he didn't understand the dream but that he knew that it had something to do with God, and that I was the person who was going to explain it to him and teach him about God and His Word.

WOW!

Ok, so I was trying to be as serious as I could about this, but I couldn't help but think that this was the most elaborate scheme to pick up a "gringo girl" that I had ever encountered!...and then was wondering what in the world my friend's mom was thinking in bringing him to my house! haha!

(Please keep in mind, this is all happening in Spanish!)

I talked to him and found out that he is not a believer, so I talk to him about what it means to be a Christian, we read Eph. 2:8-10 and talked about how salvation comes by Faith and not through works.....but in the end He was still thinking I was the person who could enlighten him to the Word of God. I explained to him that if he was genuinely serious about learning about the Lord and understanding more about the Bible that I would talk to my boss about discipling him..but that I could not help him with that....because we encourage men to be discipled by other men!

So please PRAY....1) Because this could be completely true and the Lord really could be speaking to him through dreams...in one way it actually kind of makes sense to me (Matt. 7:21 immediately came to my mind, "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven...) 2) Please pray for this man, that if the Lord is speaking to him, that he would genuinely seek to know more about the Father 3) Please pray that I would be taken out of the equation and that he would be open to being discipled by a man on our team. :)

To make the night even more interesting...we went to a friend's birthday party later that night...and I got hit on AGAIN!....When a guy starts out a conversation saying "I heard you were single" and "I hear it's easier to get a visa to the US if a church invites to you come" he kind of blows all his chances at ever having a normal friendship with me, haha.

Do I have a sign on top of my head with flashing lights that says "Green Card Magnet" ?????

(I once had a guy at the movie theater (also here in Colombia) try to pick me up...He said, "Hello, I love your green eyes," and then went right in to say he'd like to have my number so he could start a relationship with me! I actually laughed out loud, regained composure, and then kindly told him no.... then hurried away to find my friends, haha!)

One day....Mr Right will come knocking on my door....but for right now I guess I'm just dodging bullets! :)

2 comments:

Kim C said...

fun post to read! I read it to my boys. Someone told me that people in other countries are having dreams that are leading them to a relationship with Christ. Cool! I was going to ask if it was OK to link your blog to my blog, but I can not remember if I asked. It will help me see when you posted so I can keep in touch with how you are. I post every now and then to our blog, christmasjourney.blogspot.com

Jaime James said...

i am cracking up out loud. so, so funny. i love you!