Help me see with eyes of faith. Give me strength to run this race. i will go Lord, where Your glory is unknown, i will live for You alone. i will go because my life is not my own. i will go...

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Quito, Ecuador

AAAAmazing! I can not express with words, the amazing, refreshing time I had in Quito. In my mind, I was "hoping" to experience COLD weather, but expecting for it to be simply "cooler than here in Colombia." The weather was amazing! I have no idea what the actual temperature was, but I wore jackets and scarves...everyday! I got to dress up, actually wear make-up (& it didn't melt off my face 5 seconds after I put it on), straighten my hair (yes, for those of you who know me...this was HUGE!)...and feel like a pretty little lady again! haha!

Our hotel was up on a hill, overlooking the valley below. It was beautiful! Our room looked out over the valley and up to the mountains in the distance. For those of you who know me really well, you know that my heart is in the mountains. It always has been. I feel at home when I'm in the mountains. I feel refreshed and renewed....so in Quito, I felt like I had returned to my "heart land." lol! God truly knew what I needed! I think it took about 3 days for me to realize that I was really relaxed and fully begin to enjoy my time there. Up to that point, in Colombia we'd had 5 volunteer teams in 3 months, been working hard to finish up our "orientation" book for the IMB, among a long list of other things. It had been busy!! So Quito came at just the right moment...and God knew it would!

Our Great God, is so good to us, His children! My time in the Word was refreshing. He continually spoke to my heart about so many things while I was there. I may not have been thinking about "work" but my mind was racing, thinking about what the Lord had in store! One of our speakers was really challenging us to re-think how we approach working with our people groups. It was good stuff!

One of my favorite things about being an M is the immediate connection you have with other Ms. You meet them for the first time, and in minutes are talking like you're best friends! I just think it's so neat that we can connect so quickly with others, who have the same heart and the same passion to serve the Lord. I met some wonderful new friends...and reconnected with some long-lost kindred spirits!
(Jmen: Jon, Anna, Matt, Sharon, Kimi, Morgan, Debbie, Sarah & Mike (not pictured))
We "youngin's" (Journeymen) had a blast together too! We spent most of our evenings out, exploring Quito, finding new coffee shops, converting non-coffee drinkers into coffee-addicts, haha, shopping at cool indigenous markets...(me personally...buying up every pretty scarf I found, haha) and just enjoying the fellowship of being together. We shared stories about what the Lord was doing in our countries, how He was using us, what we were struggling with, and how we can pray for each other. It was a great time of bonding. I hope we keep these friendships for a long time! (I love you guys!)

After our formal mission meeting, the 4 Colombian Jmen stayed an extra 3 days for vacation! We had a wonderful tour guide (Jman Matt from Quito: thanks again!) and had a blast with him and our new friends in Quito (We miss you: Megan, Andrew & Gabby!) We went to awesome craft markets, took the cable cars up to the top of a mountain and looked out over all of Quito...it was breathtaking! We went to the REAL equator line & to the place where the monument stands. I balanced an egg on a nail (at the real equator...got me a spiffy little certificate to prove it too, haha!) We watched movies together, ate pizza and just relaxed....oh...and played a very interesting game the very last night! haha! It was a blast!

Thank you for everyone who prayed for my time at AGM in Quito. The Lord really used this time in so many ways! I came back refreshed and with a renewed passion for the displaced peoples of Colombia. I will admit, it was hard to come back to the heat & humidity. (I almost cried when I got off the plane here on the coast.) But I was reminded time and again by the Holy Spirit....that He has called me HERE. Not somewhere else...but here. Not necessarily for my lifetime, or for longer that my 2 years....but for THIS moment in time...I am to serve here. It was great to have such confirmation...even if I want to be back in the mountains! :)

1 comment:

LM~ Makeup Artistry said...

Looks like a great time. We need these moments time to time to Rejuvenate ourselves!
By the way you look great Sarah ;0)
-Laura